1/4 cup ghee or butter
3 cloves garlic, grated
1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro
2tbsp ghee or butter
2tbsp Kashmiri red chile powder (can substitute paprika with dash of cayenne)
1 cup whole milk plain yogurt
1 tbsp garam masala
3/4 cup dry black lentils
3 cups water
3 tbsp ghee or butter
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 white onion, diced
8 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 Roma tomatoes, finely chopped
1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tsp garam masala
2 cups uncooked basmati rice
4 cups water
1. For Garlic-Ginger Marinade, melt ghee in small skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger and cilantro; cool completely. Toss pork cubes in cooled marinade; let stand at room temperature for 30 to 45 minutes to marinate.
2. Meanwhile, make yogurt marinade by melting ghee in small pan. Stir in chile powder and cook 2 minutes over medium heat; set aside to cool. Whisk in in yogurt and garam masala. Toss Yogurt Marinade with pork cubes; cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours, preferably 12 hours. Thread pork onto skewers; set aside.
3. For Dal Makhani, combine lentils and water in large saucepan over medium heat. Cook until tender, about 20 minutes; remove from heat but don’t strain. Melt ghee over high heat in a separate large saucepan; add cumin sides and cook until they start to crackle and pop. Turn heat down to medium; add onion and cook until golden brown. Stir in garlic, tomatoes, and ginger; cook until fat begins to separate, about 5 minutes. Carefully remove fat.
4. Using a slotted spoon, add cooked lentils to onion mixture, using back of spoon to lightly crush lentils. Stir in 1 cup cooking liquid from lentils and cream. Cook for 20 minutes until mixture has thickened. Add garam masala and cook 5 minutes.
5. To make rice, rinse rice until water runs clear. Bring salted water to a boil in saucepan; add rice. Reduce heat to low and cover pan. Cook for 8 minutes; remove from heat and let stand for 15 minutes. Fluff with fork before serving.
6. Heat charcoal or gas grill to medium; oil grill grates. Cook pork skewers until charred and cooked through, about 12 minutes.
7. Spoon rice into serving bowls, top with Dal Makhani. Place pork skewer on top. Great to serve with Naan bread.
Jose Garces Recipe
©2018 Smithfield Foods