1. Heat oven to 300°F. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy pot over medium-high. Season pork all over with salt and pepper. Brown on all sides turning several times, about 10 minutes. Set pork aside.
2. Add celery, onion and carrot to Dutch oven. Sauté for 5 minutes until softened but not brown. Add garlic, thyme and bay leaf; cook 2 minutes.
3. Add wine to deglaze pan, scraping up all the bits from the bottom of the pan. Continue cooking until wine is reduced by half.
4. Add pork back to Dutch oven and add apple cider and chicken broth; bring to a simmer. Cover pot and place in 300°F oven. Braise pork until very tender, about 3 ½ hours.
5. Slice meat and transfer to serving platter. Strain liquid from pork and return it to the pot. Cook on medium-high until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Whisk butter into sauce and pour over pork to serve.
Gnocchi, Sage and Brown Butter
2 (16 oz.) pkg. potato gnocchi
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
½ cup (4 oz.) butter, cut into pieces
1 tablespoon minced shallots
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced fresh sage
1 lemon, juiced
1. While pork is cooking, bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Spray a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside. Cook gnocchi in boiling water until floating, about 2 minutes. Drain and place in sprayed casserole dish.
2. Heat vegetable oil in large skillet over medium-high. Add cooked gnocchi and brown while tossing in the pan; about 2 minutes. Add shallots and garlic; cook 1 minute.
3. Turn heat down to medium and add butter. Cook 3 to 5 minutes until butter starts to brown. Add sage and toss to coat. Serve with Pork Shoulder.
Colby Garrelts Recipe
©2018 Smithfield Foods