3 lbs. Smithfield® Fresh Pork Boneless Loin
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup ketchup
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 teaspoon red food coloring
1 teaspoon Shichimi Togarashi (Japanese 5 spice powder)
1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
3 cloves garlic, grated
1 cup rice wine vinegar
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup chopped white onion
1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
10 cloves garlic
2 cups ice cubes
2 cups julienned carrots
2 cups julienned Daikon radishes
1 English cucumber, cut into 1/16-inch slices
1 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Shichimi Togarashi (Japanese 5 spice powder)
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
12 Chinese steam buns
2 tablespoons Nori Komi Furikake rice seasoning
1. For Pork Loin, combine all ingredients except pork in saucepan. Heat over low until warm and thoroughly combined; refrigerate 1 hour to cool. Place loin in gallon resealable food storage bag and pour in marinade. Seal bag and marinate in refrigerator for 8 to 12 hours.
2. For Pickled Vegetables, combine vinegar, water, sugar, salt, onion, ginger and garlic in saucepan; bring to boil over high heat. Remove from heat and stir in ice; let stand 30 minutes. Place pan in refrigerator to chill completely. Strain pickle and pour over carrots, radishes and cucumber; cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours.
3. Heat charcoal or gas grill for 2-zone cooking; direct heat zone about 400°F and indirect heat zone about 275°F. Remove pork loin from marinade; discard marinade. Oil grill grates and place loin over direct heat; char on all sides, about 10 minutes. Move to indirect heat and continue cooking until internal temperature reaches 145°F, about 30 minutes. Let stand 3 minutes before thinly slicing.
4. To steam buns, place colander in pot over simmering water; spray with nonstick cooking spray. Place buns in colander, cover pot and steam until warm, about 5 minutes.
5. Spread hoisin sauce on one side of buns and Togarashi Mayonnaise on other side. Strain pickled vegetables and place in center of each bun. Top with sliced pork loin and garnish with Furikake rice seasoning.
Jose Garces Recipe
©2018 Smithfield Foods