1 tbsp. canola oil
1 1/4 cups diced yellow onions
1 1/2 cups diced Granny Smith apples, peeled
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 1/2 tbsp. salt
1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. dry mustards seeds
1/2 cup Duke's mayonnaise
2 tbsp. cider vinegar
1 1/2 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. caraway seeds
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
Dash freshly ground black pepper
2 cups julienned or shredded green cabbage
1 1/4 cups julienned Granny Smith apple
3/4 tsp. chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
3 tbsp. kosher salt
1 tbsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 tbsp. freshly ground caraway
1 tsp. granulated garlic
1/2 tsp. granulated onion
- To make Apple-Onion Jam, heat oil in medium heavy bottomed sauce pan over medium heat. Sauté onions in hot oil for approximately 5 to 7 minutes until onions begin to caramelize. Add remaining ingredients, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook covered for approximately 15 minutes until apples are tender and smash easily with a fork. Remove from the heat, uncover and cool completely. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make Apple Coleslaw, whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, caraway seeds, salt and pepper; set aside. Combine cabbage, apple and parsley in large bowl; add mayonnaise and toss to combine. Salt and pepper to taste.
- To make Caraway Rub, combine all ingredients in airtight container. Store remaining rub for later use.
- To make Pork Burgers, gently combine ground pork and 1 1/2 tablespoons Caraway Rub. Shape into 6 (1-inch thick) burgers.
- Heat oil in large cast iron skillet over medium-high. When oil is hot, add pork burgers to skillet; cook 5 minutes. Turn burgers over and cook until internal temperature reaches 160°F, about 5 minutes.
- Top each burger with 1 slice cheese and let melt; remove burgers from skillet.
- To assemble, spread 1 tablespoon Apple-Onion Jam on top and bottom half of each roll. Place burgers on bottom half and top with 3 pieces of bacon. Spoon on about 1/4 cup Apple Coleslaw and close with top bun.
Tuffy Stone Recipe