Recipe developed for Smithfield by Chef Ingrid Hoffmann www.IngridHoffmann.com
1. In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients. Refrigerate for an hour before serving.
1. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, add vinegar and stir in raisins, onion, peppers, ginger, garlic and allspice. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the onions and peppers are tender; approximately 8 to 10 minutes.
2. Add guava shells and apple and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until fruit begins to break down and mixture thickens to a jam consistency; about 25 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Refrigerate any leftover chutney in a tight sealed container for up to 1 week.
1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. Working in two batches. Wrap 2 tortillas in a damp paper towel. Microwave on high for 30 seconds to steam.
3. Carefully spray each tortilla with non-stick cooking spray on each side. If using olive oil, lightly coat each tortilla side using a pastry brush.
4. Drape tortillas over two bars of oven’s cooking rack and bake for 8-10 minutes until crisp and golden. Repeat with second batch of tortillas.
5. Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Lightly pan fry ham strips for 2 minutes, stirring frequently to cook evenly. Fill each crunchy taco shell with 1/3 cup ham strips, 2-3 tablespoons chutney and 2-3 tablespoons onions. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons queso fresco and enjoy.