Fennel Garlic Rub
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup freshly cracked black pepper
1 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 1/2 tsp. granulated garlic
2 tsp. freshly cracked fennel seeds
3/4 cup yellow mustard
1/3 cup whole grain mustard
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3 tbsp. honey
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1. To make Fennel Garlic Rub, thoroughly mix all ingredients in small bowl. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
2. About 1 hour before smoking, season each rack with 1/2 cup Fennel Garlic Rub (1/4 cup per side). Set aside at room temperature for 1 hour.
3. Heat smoker or grill for indirect cooking at 275°F. Add your favorite wood for smoking. Smoke ribs, meaty side up, for 1 hour. Spray ribs with apple juice. Continue smoking ribs for an additional 1 hour, spraying again with apple juice after 30 minutes and again before removing from smoker.
4. Remove ribs from smoker and place each rack, meaty side down, on piece of heavy duty aluminum foil. Wrap each rack tightly and place in smoker, meaty side down; cook for 2 to 2 ½ hours until tender.
5. About 15 minutes before done cooking, make Mustard Sauce. Thoroughly combine all ingredients in saucepan. Bring to a simmer; keep warm.
6. Remove ribs from foil, brush both sides of each rack with Mustard Sauce; place on smoker for 5 to 10 minutes to set the sauce.
7. Remove from heat and serve with remaining sauce on the side.
Tuffy Stone Recipe