Oak or Pecan wood for smoking
1 cup apple juice, in a spray bottle
Rattle Snake BBQ Sauce
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup diced yellow onion
2 tablespoons minced fresh jalapeño
1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup Kingsford® Original Smoked Hickory BBQ Sauce
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup pepper-style soda
2 tablespoons molasses
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
1. For Cactus Jack Rub, combine salt, pepper, garlic, onion, chili powder and seasoned salt in small bowl; mix well. Season ribs on all sides; cover and refrigerate overnight or for at least 2 hours.
2. Heat smoker or grill for indirect cooking at 250°F.; add wood for smoking. Place ribs, meaty side up, and smoke for 2 1/2 hours, spraying with apple juice every 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, for Rattle Snake BBQ Sauce, heat oil in heavy saucepan over high. Sauté onion, jalapeño and garlic until tender. Stir in remaining ingredients except salt and pepper, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until reduced in volume by 1/3. Remove from heat, season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Remove ribs from smoker; wrap each rack in heavy-duty aluminum foil. Return to smoker, meaty side down, for an additional 2 hours until internal temperature reaches 190°F to 200°F.
5. Remove ribs from foil, place back on smoker and brush with Rattle Snake BBQ Sauce; cook for about 20 minutes. Serve with additional BBQ sauce on the side.
Recipe by Ernest Servantes