1. Heat oven to 400°F. Butter a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract and eggs. Whisk briefly until just combined.
3. Add the pancake quarters to the mixing bowl. Use your fingers to massage the mixture until the pancake quarters are thoroughly soaked.
4. Gently place the soaked pancake quarters in the pan, one layer at a time. Sprinkle sausage in between each layer. As you go, fill in gaps with small chunks of pancake. When you're finished, pour any remaining liquid slowly and evenly over the top.
5. Place the pan in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes at 400°F, then turn the oven down to 300°F and bake another 30 minutes. The bread pudding is done when the temperature in the middle reaches 175°F, the top is springy, and the center is not liquid.
6. Remove from oven and cool on a rack for 30 minutes. Serve slightly warm, or let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate. Also tastes wonderful chilled.
Katie Moseman of: