Prep this recipe the night before and bake it in the morning for a sweet and savory breakfast perfect for large groups and holiday crowds.
- In an 8×8 high walled baking dish, add the bread.
- Toss half over the chopped ham into the bread mix.
- Whisk the milk eggs together in a larger bowl.
- Add salt and pepper to the mix along with the vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and thyme.
- Pour over the bread mixture.
- Add the remaining ham and dried cranberries.
- Sprinkle with the Monterey Jack and cover with the Swiss cheese.
- Cover and place in the fridge overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cover the strata with foil or a tight-fitting lid and bake 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake an additional 25-30 minutes until the eggs are set.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before slicing and serving warm.