For the bacon:
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and set a wire rack on top. Spray the wire rack with cooking spray
- Using a fork, mix the sugar and cinnamon on a small plate. Press each slice of bacon into the sugar mixture, coating both sides. Transfer coated bacon to the rack.
- Bake until the bacon appears to be caramelized and somewhat crispy, about 15-20 minutes, but maybe longer if you have thicker bacon. Remove from the oven and allow bacon to cool completely before chopping it into small pieces.
For the muffins:
While the bacon cooks in the oven, prepare the muffin mixture.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, eggnog, milk, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt until fully incorporated.
- Add the bread and, using your hands, gently mix until all of the bread is evenly coated and most of the egg mixture has been absorbed.
- Portion about ⅓ cup of bread mixture into each muffin cup and if desired, sprinkle each with Turbinado sugar. Place into a 350F oven and bake for 15 minutes. Sprinkle each muffin with chopped, candied bacon and return the pan to the oven for another 5-7 minutes, or until all of the liquid has set. Allow muffins to cool for a few minutes for serving. Serve with maple syrup and/or powdered sugar.